Rodney_Gold;531980 Wrote:
> I wasnt objecting to in line attn - I used my TP that way into my ATCS
> with the advice you gave me and it was great - I do object to using -48
> db digital attn to get to normal listening levels , it IS destructive.
Ah, right, in that case I agree: that much digital attenuation is
definitely to be avoided.

Funny thing is, though, that Fxdwg123 said he preferred the sound of
the TP/DAC direct to his power amps *with 48dB of digital attenuation*
over the sound of the TP/DAC at 100% through his Meridian G02. If he's
using 16 bit source material, then -48dB doesn't actually lose much if
any resolution through a 24 bit DAC (ignoring non-linearity of the
lower bits). All it does is degrade the S/N ratio. If he's listening at
fairly low levels, I posit that the extra noise could still be
inaudible.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A