cliveb;532132 Wrote:
> Ah, right, in that case I agree: that much digital attenuation is
> definitely to be avoided.
>
> Funny thing is, though, that Fxdwg123 said he preferred the sound of
> the TP/DAC direct to his power amps *with 48dB of digital attenuation*
> over the sound of the TP/DAC at 100% through his Meridian G02. If he's
> using 16 bit source material, then -48dB doesn't actually lose much if
> any resolution through a 24 bit DAC (ignoring non-linearity of the
> lower bits). All it does is degrade the S/N ratio. If he's listening at
> fairly low levels, I posit that the extra noise could still be
> inaudible.

And no 24bit DAC actually resolves 24bits. More like 20bits for a good
24bit DAC.

So now your talking -24dB before you start losing bits (Also ignoring
non-linearity of lower bits which I believe is critical)

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)