Rodney_Gold;530615 Wrote:
> I cannot see how the transporter using levels of digital attenutaion
> that are fairly destructive (over 10 bits) to the signal can be better
> than using analog attn on an undisturbed signal
> I would try using the G02 again using the Transporters dac using the
> rCA analog out and balanced outs and also your own dac , using the
> transporters SPDIF out to it. I do not like the transporters DAC
> personally , but I have yet to find a DAC that I *really* like with it
> , so do use it.

I thought I understood it enough, after the clear explanation of Clive,
but I get confused again with the remarks of Rodney. But perhaps it is
only because we misunderstand another? Again my current point of view:

1. The sound of my Transporter to my external dac via my pre-amp I like
less than the sound of Transporter to external dac directly to
power-amp.
2. In the last situation the only volume control I have is via the
Transporter and then I need -40dB plus which is too much and destroys
the sound. Next to this I face the risk that I forget to put the
Transporters volumecontrol to a low level and I blow up my speakers.
3. Therefore I have bought inline attenuators with switch to attenuate
20, 30 or 40 dB.
4. With these attenuators, for a normal listening level, I can have the
Transporters volumecontrol around -10Db, which should not degrade the
sound (not in such a way that this can be heared).

At this moment I am happy with this configuration, the sound is great
and I do not notice a degrade of the sound because of the inline
attenuation. Perhaps it is there, but I do not hear it, not as I heard
the different sound by using the G02(the G02 is also an attenuator,
isn't it, although much more sophisticated than the inline attenuators
I have now).
Of course, this all still means I'll have to do (in a later stage)
proper A/B testing of Transporter's dac versus external dac and G02
versus attenuators. This as advised. I will of course also let you know
that outcome.

--
Fxdwg123

Synology 209+II --> Transporter --> Audio-GD Ref7 DAC --> Meridian G57
--> Wilson Audio WP7