Without getting into details I agree with Robin and Phil:

1st, if an AES/EBU cable (MIT or whatever, I have already tried the
MIT) sounds *significantly* better than a properly-constructed coax
S/PDIF, then there is something going wrong somewhere in your setup.
And I can't say neither what nor how to fix this. You'll need several
tests using different dacs to find out what is going on.

Lastly, as Phil says, it's your ears, your setup, your money. If you
find there's nothing to fix, then don't try to fix it. ;)

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber
Grand Piano Domus