On 03/05/10 12:16, Phil Leigh wrote:
> To be really picky, unless you are talking about a crossed-pair 2-track
> recording (or a soundfield job) in a real ambience with no EQ, reverb
> etc there is no "natural"... there is just "engineered"... :-)

Yes, that's true, but some recordings can sound more natural than others.

> Most people wouldn't like the natural (untreated) sound of a pop/rock
> band without EQ and (especially) compression!

Also true, and I'm not suggesting that I don't like pop/rock bands that
use compression - far from it! I don't, for example, expect a "natural"
sound from AC/DC or Jimi Hendrix :)

> And before anyone says "What about the Beatles?" - their  early
> recordings have all manner of EQ, compression etc on them - much of it
> enforced by the microphones, mixing consoles, guitars, amplifiers and
> tape decks of the day - you couldn't get a "neutral" sound to build
> from so you had to work round that. The reason they sound good? - a lot
> of care was taken in the performance, recording, mixing and mastering.
> This was a long time before the "fix it in the mix" mentality became
> popular...

The reason they sound good? Because they were damned good songs,
perfectly arranged. I have some Beatles multitracks, ie. copies of the
4-track used before mixdown and it's plain to hear that not a lot is
done in the mix - all the good stuff is on the tape.

Funnily enough, on Friday night I popped in to a local pub who had a
Beatles/60s tribute band playing. They were basically just 4 blokes in
their 50s, average musicians - 4-piece, drums, bass, 2 x guitar, three
vox singing the harmonies. The Beatles songs sounded simply superb.

R.