darrenyeats;543999 Wrote:
> I'm not sure about that, Clive. I think mswlogo has a point (crazy
> thread mswlogo, crazy thread!) although I would put it this way: human
> hearing adjusts to new sound levels. So turning down the volume could
> actually enable you to hear quieter sounds!
>
> It's a bit academic for you though...you've got a TP so by far the
> dominant factor for dynamic range will be the 16 bit signal noise, even
> with 20db of digital attenuation. DAC noise floor is incredibly low.

Human AGC is quite slow to act. It won't track the levels in that
Offenbach example. It's not intended to be a fast-acting compressor -
we have an evolutionary need to differentiate loud/quiet to stay alive
(loud=near, quiet=far away to misquote Father Ted...) The rate at which
level changes tells us something about how fast the source is moving.
Two ears helps us determine direction of movement...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio