darrenyeats;543954 Wrote:
> It has a SNR of a little "more than 100db". Approaching 1 bit better
> than 16 bits. The results make sense to me, nothing to do with how many
> bits are in the DAC.
>
> With such a SNR it could be 48 bit DAC digitally speaking but the
> results would be the same! It is precisely an improved SNR (not more
> bits) that will improve performance to something like a 20 or 21 bit
> DAC. Like in a TP or Benchmark DAC1. The Squeezebox and TP/Benchmark
> DAC1 all use 24 bit DACs...isn't the difference between them down to
> something else?

I totally agree and that is probably a better way to look at it. It has
a fixed total SNR. 100dB. By attenuating digitally your sliding within a
100dB window. Which is what I said, 100dB is about 16.5bits. I think we
are on the same page there. I agree you can call it what ever you want
and what ever number of bits. It's 100dB window on taht DAC. And
basically you want to stay with in it (keep the bits of your CD within
it).

So on that unit you can attenuate about 3dB for "free". That's all the
elbow room there is. Big whoop.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)