mswlogo;544022 Wrote:
> When you turn it down in analog your noise floor goes down with it (for
> the most part). When you turn it down in digital it does not !!
True (subject to the caveat pointed out by Phil). But the whole point
I've been trying to get across is that if the noise floor starts out
beneath the threshold of human hearing, it doesn't matter that it stays
the same when you turn the volume down - you still can't hear it.

mswlogo;544033 Wrote:
> Your saying the noise floor of the room is the limitation and I'm saying
> it's the DAC.
In a simplistic way, I guess that about sums it up. Although my
argument is more along the lines that the limitation is an attribute of
the whole system: source material, playback devices (including the DAC,
amp, speakers), room, and listener. I contend that of these components,
the DAC is one of, if not *the*, least compromised component.

mswlogo;544033 Wrote:
> You're also considering that "floor" as a discrete wall.
> It's not really, that's the problem.
I'm well aware that it is possible to hear signal buried beneath noise.
But actually the only "discrete wall" I've assumed is the threshold of
hearing (0dB SPL), and I'm not aware of anyone who believes that a
person can perceive anything below that level.

All of the examples I've given throughout this thread have been based
on an assumption that the listening room has a noise level of 0dB SPL,
which is *very* friendly towards your point of view. When you factor in
that a typical real-world listening room has an ambient level of at
least 20dB SPL (most are more like 30dB SPL), then your argument is
even less convincing.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A