mswlogo;543939 Wrote:
> It's practically behaving like a 16bit DAC, that the low 8 bits don't
> even exist !!! It's behaving like a 16.5bit DAC.
Of course, it has a SNR of a bit "more than 100db". Nearly 1 bit better
than 16 bits. The results make sense, nothing to do with how many bits
are in the DAC.

With such a SNR it could be 48 bit DAC digitally speaking but the
results would be the same! It is precisely an improved SNR (not more
bits) that will enable the extra bits to become meaningful. And reduce
the dynamic range lost from attenuation. Like in a TP or Bennchark
DAC1.

Robin Bowes;543951 Wrote:
> On 06/05/10 14:51, darrenyeats wrote:
> >
> > Much more importantly I suggest you look at the detail - the
> > degradation is not linear!
>
> I seem to recall that the 0-40 attenuation curve was non-linear - it
> changed a bit over the years, from what I recall.
>
> That would explain why the degradtion is non-linear.
>
> R.
I don't think that's it. I checked and the steps were 1.25 db each. (As
we all know, db are themselves not linear). Also the percentages look
right.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II