cliveb;551849 Wrote:
> Phil, I think you've misunderstood what Mr_Sukebe is saying. He is
> saying that he hears differences in output *from the same DAC* when
> using different SPDIF sources. So he's not comparing one DAC to
> another.
>
> That said, I remain unconvinced that jitter is the cause of these
> differences. Too many people say that there are only two things that
> can possibly distinguish digital sources: the bits they deliver, and
> the jitter. Not so - there are two another possible sources of
> difference that I can think of:
> a). The EMI radiated by the devices which can affect the operation of
> other nearby analogue circuitry.
> b). Grounding topology which may allow noise to transfer between the
> ground planes of devices. On unbalanced devices, the ground plane
> becomes part of the signal (in that the actual signal is in fact the
> difference between the "signal" and ground). Therefore if there is any
> noise on the ground plane it gets interpreted as signal. (*Perfect*
> shunting of the ground plane to earth is of course impossible).

You points on A and B are correct. But you'd have to have one really
F'd up setup for those to occur (and have cables significantly change
it). I have tons of Meridian boxes and never found a digital cable to
make any difference.

I've done similar experiments that I posted and recorded the signal
right at the digital tape output of 861 to assure data was perfect from
rip to processor.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)