cliveb;551849 Wrote:
> Phil, I think you've misunderstood what Mr_Sukebe is saying. He is
> saying that he hears differences in output *from the same DAC* when
> using different SPDIF sources. So he's not comparing one DAC to
> another.
>
> That said, I remain unconvinced that jitter is the cause of these
> differences. Too many people say that there are only two things that
> can possibly distinguish digital sources: the bits they deliver, and
> the jitter. Not so - there are two another possible sources of
> difference that I can think of:
> a). The EMI radiated by the devices which can affect the operation of
> other nearby analogue circuitry.
> b). Grounding topology which may allow noise to transfer between the
> ground planes of devices. On unbalanced devices, the ground plane
> becomes part of the signal (in that the actual signal is in fact the
> difference between the "signal" and ground). Therefore if there is any
> noise on the ground plane it gets interpreted as signal. (*Perfect*
> shunting of the ground plane to earth is of course impossible).

erm yes...you are right, I misread it. Sorry Mr Sukube.

I think your item B is of great interest, plus contamination of the
mains from RFI.

I've been playing with my RFI sniffer. Some interesting results so far,
but it's too early to form any definite conclusions.

I'm in the processs of switching to shielded mains cables... (I already
had them on half my equipment).

One thing - the amount of RFI from the mains lead of my (LCD) TV in
standby is worrying...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio