Phil Leigh;551821 Wrote:
> Not necessarily. Just because a DAC sounds different does not
> necessarily mean jitter is involved... every DAC has a slightly
> different filtering circuit after the DAC and a slightly different
> analogue output stage and so will have a signature sound of its own.
>
> DAC's are no different to any other source component - they all have
> their own "take" on what the output should sound like.
Phil, I think you've misunderstood what Mr_Sukebe is saying. He is
saying that he hears differences in output *from the same DAC* when
using different SPDIF sources. So he's not comparing one DAC to
another.

That said, I remain unconvinced that jitter is the cause of these
differences. Too many people say that there are only two things that
can possibly distinguish digital sources: the bits they deliver, and
the jitter. Not so - there are two another possible sources of
difference that I can think of:
a). The EMI radiated by the devices which can affect the operation of
other nearby analogue circuitry.
b). Grounding topology which may allow noise to transfer between the
ground planes of devices. On unbalanced devices, the ground plane
becomes part of the signal (in that the actual signal is in fact the
difference between the "signal" and ground). Therefore if there is any
noise on the ground plane it gets interpreted as signal. (*Perfect*
shunting of the ground plane to earth is of course impossible).

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A