Hi there

I'm a happy owner of SB Classic, older one with Slim Devices logo on
it, and was trying to connect it to the power amplifier directly to see
how it goes. And found interesting problem here.

My power amp is Electrocompaniet AW100DMB, with some connectors which
allow to connect RCA cables to its XLR sockets. One second after
pressing the power button I can hear some switch inside, and then it
works - sound is coming. Or if I don't hear this switch, it doesn't
start and there's no sound.

And here's what happens with the power amp (EC)
- with CD player or any PRE-AMP connected, it starts fine.
- if I connect the SB3, it doesn't start.
- if I run it unconnected completely, it doesn't start.
- if I connect the SB3 to preamplifier, and pre to EC, starts fine.
- if I connect the SB3 to a PASSIVE preamp, and then to power amp, it
starts fine. (pre is Creek OBH 14 which can serve as a DAC as well, but
I'm running it without any power connected to it so it is really
passive).
- if I connect like above, to a passive preamp, but use it's outputs
marked "fixed", which makes it skip the volume control, it runs fine
(!).

Everytime I start EC, there's no signal coming (SB3 is paused or
powered off with the remote).

So the question is, why the combo SB3 + EC doesn't run?
It's really incredible to me. Could this be some grounding problem in
SB3, which the EC detects, or what else?

I'm also interested in your experience with connecting SB3 directly to
a power amp.

--
azaz44