azaz44;573611 Wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm a happy owner of SB Classic, older one with Slim Devices logo on
> it, and was trying to connect it to the power amplifier directly to see
> how it goes. And found interesting problem here.
>
> My power amp is Electrocompaniet AW100DMB, with some connectors which
> allow to connect RCA cables to its XLR sockets. One second after
> pressing the power button I can hear some switch inside, and then it
> works - sound is coming. Or if I don't hear this switch, it doesn't
> start and there's no sound.
>
> And here's what happens with the power amp (EC)
> - with CD player or any PRE-AMP connected, it starts fine.
> - if I connect the SB3, it doesn't start.
> - if I run it unconnected completely, it doesn't start.
> - if I connect the SB3 to preamplifier, and pre to EC, starts fine.
> - if I connect the SB3 to a PASSIVE preamp, and then to power amp, it
> starts fine. (pre is Creek OBH 14 which can serve as a DAC as well, but
> I'm running it without any power connected to it so it is really
> passive).
> - if I connect like above, to a passive preamp, but use it's outputs
> marked "fixed", which makes it skip the volume control, it runs fine
> (!).
>
> Everytime I start EC, there's no signal coming (SB3 is paused or
> powered off with the remote).
>
> So the question is, why the combo SB3 + EC doesn't run?
> It's really incredible to me. Could this be some grounding problem in
> SB3, which the EC detects, or what else?
>
> I'm also interested in your experience with connecting SB3 directly to
> a power amp.

I like the sound and ease of connecting directly to the power amp. Just
helped my son's friend with his first non-rack setup. A Touch, a
GFA-555e, and Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature II speakers. FLAC sounds
great on his speakers and its about as simple as it gets.

As for your Amp, I haven't used any of them. But depending on how the
XLR to RCA is done, you could be asking for big time trouble. IMO one
should never use RCA to XLR adapters, its the easiest way to damage
equipment. With a build-in thing your describing, I would not use that
either for fear of grounding something that shouldn't be. Its one thing
is you have dual inputs and there is a selector switch for XLR or RCA.

>From what your describing it might be auto sensing (hope its checking
ground also) and maybe its a function of how high the SB3 Volume is set
at when you turn the amp on. If you feel there are no grounding issues,
I would try it with low SB3 volume then higher and see if there is a
trigger point. Never do high first, start low and work your way up but
I would not go past 50% volume without inline attenuators. This process
may require turning the amp off each time depending on how auto-sensing
works if that what it has.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio