Wombat;574730 Wrote:
> I second that. The SB3 alone has an output that should have not the
> slightest problem to drive a pre-amp input. The Op-Amp in the exit has
> enough current juice even for low impedance power-amps.
> If a pre-amp betters the sound the power-amp has some broken or badly
> engineered inputs or the pre-amp just adds his own "sweet" sound.

I also agree - the SB3 works great with passive attenuation directly
into the amplifier.  I'm not really sure what accounts for it, but
different passive attenuators can produce rather different sonic
results - even though they are just a voltage dividers / resistor
networks.  I tried several passive attenuators, and the 'Scott Endler's
Shotgun Attenuators' (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/id2.html)
easily sounded the best.  For some reason, I found the Rothwells
sounded the poorest out of all the passives - I tried several of them
and they all sounded really bad in comparison to the others.  The
Endlers though, are consistently fantastic and more flexible in
application as well - they receive my own strong recommendation.

--
NewBuyer