ncarver;576106 Wrote:
> I did learn one thing as a (indirect) result of reading his site.  He
> mentions that in blind tests concert violinists cannot tell a
> Stradivarius from a "regular" violin.  Now this struck me as highly
> suspect given that I know that acoustic instruments each have unique
> tonal signatures and musicians make their living from being able to
> understand and manipulate tonal color.

Actually, anyone who has passing familiarity with concert violins knows
that Dan is quite right.  There have been innumerable blind tests
involving Stradivari, and fine instruments from Stradivarius and other
makers up to the 20th C have been shown to be indistinguishable to the
ears of masters.  Nicely summarized in the Wikipedia article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stradivarius.

It's not to say that the Stradivari aren't beautiful instruments, worth
owning and even worth the premium they command;  it's rather that the
belief, the mythology, can be more than a bit much.  Not unlike
audiophilia.

R.

--
RonM