Gazjam;581734 Wrote:
> Theres many threads on the Audiophile forums which testify to the
> Transporter being a "better" transport...at least on paper - but not by
> anything other than a small margin, but the conscensus (to my reading)
> is that it is NOT worth the extra cost.
>
> Some folk on these forums (John Swenson I think it was?)even prefer the
> Touch as a Transport. Yup.
>
> And regarding your Caiman (I own one and love it),over on the
> ArtOfSound forum (I've seen you there ;)) one of the guys runs his
> Transporter INTO his Caiman as he likes the improvement over the
> Transporter the Caiman brings.
> Its subjective you see...but the Transporter HAS been compared to the
> Touch as a digital source, and its a pretty close run thing.
> Id swap my Touch for a Transporter in a second...but not because of
> sound quality reasons...it would look better in my rack!:)
>
> Would I pay $$$ extra for that no. Would you?
> Do you use balanced outputs? I dont, do you?
> Will you be using the Transporters digital inputs? Nope, the Caiman has
> plenty.
> Does "pride of ownership" matter more than value for money and absolute
> comparative sound quality? I'm a Scot, so value for money is more
> important!
>
> So, my $0.02 worth..
> DEFO change from a Duet, you'll never get the best from your Flacs
> using that.
>
> My opinion?
> Buy a Touch - the SPDIF out has been measured (and listened to) as
> being EXTREMELY good and very very close to the Transporter.
> Then mod the hell out of your Caiman (see AOS), and enjoy the music.
>
> Gaz.

Hey Gaz,

I remember you raving about Touch last spring. It's a given, I'm
getting it, just wanted to make sure to check its digital transport
quality compared to the Transporter.

If it turns out that Transporter is substantially better (measured as
the audible improvement in the sound quality), it may be justifiable to
pursue it on audiogon.

As far as modding my Caiman goes, the only thing holding me back is the
burn in time. I have invested a lot of patience and time in burning my
Caiman in (many months of constant burn it). It was worth the trouble,
as the DAC keeps producing sweeter and sweeter sound. It's uncanny (and
extremely controversial, as some of my friends get visibly upset when I
mention that), but hey, it works. It works miracles. I am now hearing
tiny little details in the familiar music that I can't hear even if I
bring the tracks over to my other friends' high end systems. Plus, the
music is now fully alive, while if I switch back to the Duet's internal
DAC, the music collapses into its pale and anemic shadow.

Because of that, I'd hate to reset the DAC to the day one, after I mod
it. Do you have any experience with the burn in time after the mods?

--
magiccarpetride