michael123;582962 Wrote:
> BS
> high-res is very close to master if not the master itself.
> 44.1/16 is downsampled, filtered and tortured version of it
>
> Did you ever compare CD vs 24bit?
> Audacity, else?
> No.

Again, CD versus 24 bit is not a meaningful test of whether 24 bit does
any good, because there is no reason to think that the CD version is
simply a lower res version of the 24 bit version.  (In fact there are
reasons to think the opposite.)  The only way to test this is to do the
truncation yourself, using e.g. sox.

And yes, I have done this (once), and yes, I -could- hear the
difference - but only in the noise floor on silent passages.

michael123;583006 Wrote:
> Take -Jasmine- by Keith Jarrett, they released it simultaneously in RB
> and in 24bit. I just listened today to both, 24bit version is more
> 'delicate' with more precise bass, and overall more enjoyable and
> relaxed.

See above.

--
opaqueice