If your HDTV has audio output, connect it to your amp -- if compatible.

If not compatible -- like optical output and no optical input on an
older amp -- a new AV receiver is in order.

If your speaker pair is not too widely spaced, I'd skip a center
channel speaker and just use the stereo pair to create a phantom
center.

Unless you really want serious multichannel music, I'd suggest that
rear speakers are important to have, but their "quality" is not so
important for ambiance and movie sound effects. If you have an older
pair in the closet, try using them.

Summary - a simple 4.0 setup gives remarkably good results. (Of course
this is heresy, but...)

Naturally HD sources like a Blu-ray player are very desirable.

--
R Johnson