cliveb;592646 Wrote:
> Once again, as with all things, the realism of an instrument is 99% down
> to the method of recording. The playback device has little to do with
> it. I don't believe that the recording device is that important - mic
> placement, and resisting the urge to fiddle too much, seem to be the
> overriding factors.
>
> I can't say too much about choirs and solo piano, but as an ex-drummer
> I'll say this: modern recordings of drum kits are invariably
> unconvincing. Yes, they have punch and good frequency response and all
> that, but the sum of the parts does not sound like a real drum kit. I
> put it down to the plethora of mics that scatter the kit onto multiple
> tracks which they then try to recombine in the mix. I think this
> somehow loses the essense of how the kit as a whole should sound.
>
> The most realistic recording of a drum kit I've ever heard was one
> recorded and played back on a Tandberg cassette deck back in about
> 1980. Louis Bellson was playing live at the opening of Jeffries HiFi in
> Brighton. A simple (and fairly cheap) stereo crossed pair was used to
> record him (and a trumpeter whose name I forget) while they played.
> Later in the day after they had left, it was played back and it was as
> if they were still there in person.

absolutely! - anything other than a spaced or crossed pair "ambient"
recording is going to sound "unrealistic" and will bear very little
relationship to what you would hear if you were actually standing in
the room listening to the music.

Drum kits are a good example, as are pianos - what the drummer/pianist
hears and what the audience hears are very different anyway becaue of
their relative position to the instruments.

All close-miked recordings are artificial. That's not to say they can't
sound good, even great - but they are "creations". There's no
height/depth/width (which apart from width can't even be vaguely
recreated by a single pair of loudspeakers).

It takes skill to combine multiple mic feeds into a satisfactory
holistic simulacrum of a real instrument heard by real ears in a real
space.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.