TheLastMan;593301 Wrote:
> I see Clive b's point to some extent, but how often does an audience
> member stand so close to a drum kit that he can distinguish which drums
> are on the left and which on the right? In fact there never is a "real"
> stereo image of a drum kit at most rock concerts as the sound from the
> various drums is fed out through different speakers to give the
> illusion of a massive, stage filling drum kit!
Fair point. It is very rare indeed to attend a concert where the kit is
not fed through a PA and is close enough to hear properly. Apart from
the aforementioned event with Louis Belson at Jeffries HiFi, the only
other public performance I can recall where the drums were unmolested
was seeing the Elton Dean Quartet upstairs at a pub in Walthamstow back
in about 1976. I was sitting about 6 feet from the kit. (Elton began the
evening by apologising that his usual drummer was indisposed, so we'd
have to "make do" with John Marshall :-)

But all this is to be expected - the sound quality at rock concerts is
routinely dreadful. As far as recorded music is concerned, giving the
drum kit a realistic ambience is entirely possible and would enhance
the listening experience. But it never gets done. It's probably just a
dogma these days that you record a kit with at least a dozen mics and
then try to reconstruct it in the mix. Engineers and producers probably
don't even give it a second thought.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A