Robin Bowes;593283 Wrote:
> On 06/12/10 22:25, TheLastMan wrote:
> >
> > In fact, I cannot think of an instrument that, on its own, occupies
> > enough space to need stereo - unless ludicrously close miked.
>
> You're missing the point. It's not just the sound of the instrument -
> it's the ambience from the room as well.
>
> An instrument close-mic'd with a single microphone with sound
> unnatural
> compared to the same instrument recorded with a stereo pair positioned
> far enough from the source to capture the sound of the room as well.
>
> R.
> --
> "Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
> http://www.theshackshakers.com/

Actually if you read on a bit from the passage you quoted I do say
that.

I totally agree that stereo is important and that a simple stereo pair
of microphones is by far the best setup for stereo (oddly enough!)
which is what I tried to achieve in my very amateur way in my recording
attempts.

In fact in most concert halls, unless you are sitting in the front row
behind the conductor, most of the sound you hear will be reflected off
the walls, ceiling, floor and audience so a lot of the directional
clues are lost anyway. In fact in some ways, for non-amplified music,
the acoustic is almost like an extra performer.

But what I have learnt over the years is that your ears play terrible
tricks on you, and aural perception is heavily influenced by
psychological bias and visual clues or distractions.

I see Clive b's point to some extent, but how often does an audience
member stand so close to a drum kit that he can distinguish which drums
are on the left and which on the right? In fact there never is a "real"
stereo image of a drum kit at most rock concerts as the sound from the
various drums is fed out through different speakers to give the
illusion of a massive, stage filling drum kit!

To me, the point of stereo is to convey the acoustic (whether real or
artificial) and to space the performers and instruments out on a stage
so that you can more easily separate them in your mind. However, that
is probably only about 20% of the job.

In my humble opinion, when listeners critically assess hi-fi equipment
these days, far too much weight is put on reproducing the stereo image
and far too little weight is given to whether the instruments sound
like real instruments. In fact I almost never hear that aspect
mentioned at all.

When I hear a Strad reproduced I want it to sound like a Strad, not a
Yamaha "My First Violin".  When I was auditioning the Naim's it became
clear that most amplifier manufacturers don't pay enough attention to
that aspect of music reproduction.  It is probably also why I could now
sell my 1979 vintage 42/110 pre-power amps for more than the £200 I paid
for them in 1992!

--
TheLastMan

Matt

*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology Diskstation 107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157)
running Squeezebox Server 7.5.0 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline. LPs ripped usingBehringer
UCA202 USB into Windows XP PC