ralphpnj;614681 Wrote:
> Your willingness to exaggerate analog's flaws in order to trumpet the
> virtues of digital are boundless. While it is true that badly recorded
> analog can have all the things you mentioned, a well recorded analog
> master tape is the equal of a well recorded digital master as far as
> sound is concerned. Digital is far superior to analog as a storage and
> editing medium but those qualities have little to do with the either
> mediums ability to capture "sound".
>
> In addition, a fourth generation copy of cassette tape is sonically no
> worse than a fourth generation lossly file (by fourth generation I mean
> something like CD->mp3->CD->wma->CD->m4a(Apple)->CD->mp3 and don't think
> that doesn't happen and quite often to boot). Sure the cassette (analog)
> copy will have lots of hiss and sound terrible but the fourth generation
> mp3 file will have equal amounts of distortion that many people will
> simply refuse to hear because the file is digital and therefore
> "perfect". Perfect my ass.
>
> So please do us a favor and cut out the hyperbole so that this
> discussion can remain meaningful and useful.

Now, now, Ralph.  No need to get your knickers in a knot.

You'll get no argument from me that analog may sound better than
digital to some people ears. It does for me in fact with some
recordings.

But, you'll not be able to convince me that "analog" doesn't introduce
copious amounts of noise/hiss and distortions that prevent the
reproduction of, especially low level details, in recordings. In such
aspects, analog is, technically, far inferior to digital, enough that
it is a huge reasons for some audiophiles not to consider analog true
"hi-fi" in the strictest sense of the definition (ie an accurate
reproduction of the signal). Heck, the simple inclusion of RIAA
filtering ensures this alone .... nevermind the oodles of other
distortion and noise/hiss issues inherent in analog recording/vinyl
playback.

Technically it is very easy to demonstrate that these limitations with
noise/hiss and distortions inherent in analog recording/playback are
not present in their digital counterparts. Many would therefore argue
that is follows that digital has a greater resolution.

Back to my point earlier.  The very best signal to noise ratio that you
can get from analog tape is about 70dB. Pristine vinyl a tad lower.
Basic, ole redbook runs out of resolution at least 30dB below the noise
floor of the best analog tape/ultimate vinyl. Where digital is fully
resolving low level details in music, analog tape/vinyl is completely
obliterating the signal due to tape hiss/noise. It's gone and those
minute nuances in the recording are lost forever.

--
Pneumonic

Main:

Slim Devices Transporter > Metric Halo ULN8
Modwright Sony SCD 777ES
Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 Preamp
Audio Research Classic 120 Mono Power amps
Martin Logan CLS IIz Speakers