earwaxer9;619360 Wrote:
> It HAS to sound better or who would buy it? People are not THAT stupid!

My opinion. I've been there, got the tee-shirt with the "I am a golden
eared audiophile" thing. My ego took a hit a while back in a
comparative sighted-blind listening test - long story - and now I like
to think I'm a bit more rational.

I make a mental distinction between the acoustic components (power
amplifiers-crossovers-loudspeakers-room acoustics) and purely
amplitude-based components (sources-preamps-wires-connectors). The
first set of things are quite open to psycho-acoustic interpretation.
"Low distortion" could conceivably mean different things to different
people. Also, in practical terms, with current technology design
trade-offs are necessary.

However, I think the second set of components are much more amenable to
a scientific, engineering and measurement approach. This is because the
musical signal exists as either numbers representing amplitudes or
voltages representing amplitudes. It is beyond debate what "low
distortion" means in this context. There isn't any room for RATIONAL
debate about it. (Of course, there's plenty of IRRATIONAL debate on
audio forums all over the world.)

When it comes to amplitude-based components I believe measurements have
a lot more to tell us than listening tests. This is because our
measurement devices have been proved to be far more sensitive than
human hearing. To believe otherwise is to believe in fairy tales.

Although people don't like this or that DAC no-one could tell between
DACs that have been well engineered for neutrality and transparency in
a blind test. Of course, a lot of your boutique "audiophile" items are
not engineered for that, instead they are designed to be incredibly
expensive tone controls.

Brutal yes, but one person's opinion.
Darren

--