"Double blind studies are total BS because a sh*tty MP3 of low quality
reproduces enough information to sound like a CD when you are listening
to popular music (especially) over a system you are unfamiliar with and
music you are unfamiliar with. I argued over and over with a guy who is
a big hydrogenaudio guru at another forum. He says that it has been
proven (scientifically, even) that people can't tell the difference
between a CD and an MP3 in blind testing (I don't remember if it was
256 or 320 MP3) - bullsh*t, anyway. Maybe they can't tell the
difference between two Michael Jackson songs or two Katy Perry songs
they only hear in their car or at the gym between the two formats. But,
You take a chamber ensemble that you have heard hundreds of times (and
love to listen to) and have someone play an MP3 or vinyl record
(frequency response variations introduced by vinyl aside) of it on YOUR
SYSTEM and you will hear the difference."

That is all one theme. Maybe I should have said, "the double blind
studies where... unfamiliar music/system... kidnapped bowling alley...
are BS". They are. I go to your house with an MP3 of violin/acoustic
guitar/piano music you KNOW and play it over your system that you have
listened to intently for a long time and I believe that you could tell
me which was your CD and which was the MP3. That is all that I am
trying to say about that.

I don't know that there is any way of measuring the actual complexity
of waveforms which occur when a rich instrument like a violin (let
alone an orchestra) bounces off of many walls, people, seats many times
including the fundamental and all harmonics - then hits (continually)
the transducer of the microphone. That is a very complex thing to
capture. My belief is that there is too much there for current digital
parameters to capture as well as analog can. Maybe that is why I like
vinyl, I could have conned myself into it, can't say, but it seems more
like being at a live concert hall to me in some aspects. Studio music is
a little different, some of it is very dry as far as its recording space
is concerned. Anyway, my .02 ad nauseum. But, I was not trying to say
that all double blind testing is BS, just all that I have seen
referenced to prove "scientifically" so many different things. Again,
those tests were random people on a system they have never heard with
music they may or may not know. I would suggest that this kind of thing
would sound the same to anyone at all times. Maybe not a dog, but
probably about the same to us.

--
brjoon1021