You don't have to setup everything in one fell swoop... these setups can
be done incrementally.  Some of this will depend on your budget.
One option would be to jump into the Touch.  You can run
squeezeboxserver on your Mac, or get a USB hard disk and run the
"TinySB" server which is on the Touch itself.  The Touch is about $300,
so it's not a huge investment.  With that, you can figure out what's
next most important to you - a dedicated server, external DAC, iPad
controller, additional players/zones, etc.  As you use the system, you
will have a better understanding of what it is and what it does, and
that should help you determine what the next step would be.
For me, I started off in a slightly different way - I installed SBS on
my PC,using the "software players" (SoftSqueeze and squeezeplay) to get
a feel for the Squeezebox setup.  I even used my laptop as a virtual
Squeezebox player in my living room to try things out.  Next I
purchased a used SB3 to put into my living-room setup.  Since then I've
hard-wired my living room setup with in-ceiling speakers and a dedicated
amp (the SB3/Amp replaces a tower of equipment - receiver, CD player,
turntable, cassette deck, stacks of CD's...). This was followed by
dedicated Atom-based server (in a back room), 2 Booms, Radio, Duet.

--
tcutting