Thanks everyone for your input.  To answer the query by Wombat, I was
listening to a Logitech Touch feeding the latest top of the line
electronics from Classe'.  The speakers themselves were B&W's, but were
in the $2000.00  range. It may seem odd to pair such expensive
electronics with a little Touch and those modest speakers, but the
point was to showcase the capabilities of those 2 affordable products.
It sure did!  For me it was an epiphany.  So here I am.  Since I am more
of a videophile lately and only have a couple of hundred CD's after all
my other ones were stolen, I am leaning toward getting a Touch.  Next
up would be to put squeezeplayer on my Macbook and then get a
Vortexbox.  I can use those little 1tb hardrives from Western Digital
for initial downloading and backup and just throw them in my fireproof
safe  or file cabinet for safe keeping.  I'll most likely get an Ipad
somewhere in there and start putting Logitech and DirecTV apps on it to
get my media room up and running.  That's kind of my plan right now.

--
EARBLASTER