Curt962;626134 Wrote:
> The imaging thing is an interesting subject.   Like many, I get to hear
> lots of live local music.  Small scale performances.  Some acoustic,
> some not.  In almost ALL cases, "imaging" is vague at best, and often
> non-existent.  It's really a visual thing, and if you close your eyes
> at a concert it can be very difficult to aurally locate one musician
> amongst several nearly as accurately as you can with even a modest home
> set up.  If amplification/sound reinforcement is involved, then all bets
> are off.   We don't need to discuss the actual "sound"...which generally
> would not pass muster with any  audiophile.   Even with a guitar, or a
> horm 5 feet away...the sound is simply not detailed, or dynamic enough
> to meet expectations for many.
>
> "Imaging" is a very cool ability of home audio, but not entirely
> realistic.  A form of hyper-realism where we expect our audio systems
> to "blow away" reality, and the degree to which we outperform reality
> is used as a measure of performance.   As much as I enjoy
> "imaging"...it leads me to believe that laser-like targeting of
> instruments within an acoustic space is largely an artifact of
> microphone technique, and studio production.

Indeed.

Ignoring stuff like UHJ/Ambisonics and dummy-head techniques, all
height/depth/width is an aural illusion that can be manipulated - or
even conjured out of thin air - using clever mic and mixing/FX
techniques. A simple crossed or spaced pair as often used for classical
recording can ONLY create the lateral soundstage illusion.

pin-sharp 3-dimensional Imaging as discussed ad nauseum in magazines
and fora mostly doesn't exist in the real world and can't be accurately
represented by only 2 "point sources".
The key word being "accurately".

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.