My findings mirror yours exactly. Belden cord with adapter brought a
good improvement. Sound opens up a liitle more after 5 weeks or so. I
found that putting a new iec connector on the power cable and floating
the shield at the DAC end of the cord also made the sound more
relaxed.

Now, I don't want to derail the thread with this tweak and the jury is
still out until I remove the tweak and see if the sound changes, but it
involves putting about half a pound of piezoelectric pink quartz rough
in small bags on and around the AC adapter plug and between the
adapter/cord and the RCA interconnects. I also covered the top of my
Squeezebox linear power supply. It seems to have smoothed the high
frequencies and brought the midrange and bass forward with a nice
warmth. Maybe more of an effect than the power cord alone and
complementary with the power cord effect.

If you want to discuss or discredit or learn more about this there are
many threads on this tweak over at audioasylum.com, don't do it here.
But for those with an open mind about this tweak, it seems to work well
with the Rega DAC.

--
HumanMedia