Phil Leigh;632891 Wrote:
> Adam - the Inguz log (log.txt) records clipping CAUSED BY Inguz. What
> Bernt is saying is that no matter what correction filter AL calculates,
> it will never cause clipping. Imagine the rather odd example where AL
> decided what was required was to simply boost by 6dB at 1kHz. In order
> to implement this it will generate a filter that reduces everything by
> 6dB then boost 6dB at 1kHz. The net result of this is that the track
> will sound 6dB quieter...
>
> Therefore, in almost any filter that AL generates there will be a
> consequent gain reduction (no free lunch - can't boost without clipping
> unless you cut everything else first).
>

> It's INGUZ I'm not sure about...
Thanks. I followed the point about AL. But the ensuing passage appeared
to suggest you need at least -16dB in inguz, for reasons I can't grasp
but something to do with level matching. Anyway presumably if I play
tracks at random and check for the presence of clipping in log.txt then
I can tell whether there is any clipping. What does the log say "warning
file clipped" or "clipping" or 0db?

--
adamdea