Hi Soundcheck,

I'm hoping you are either too busy to respond to my earlier request
about your advice on setting the speed of the NIC, or not convinced by
what I say happened to me.  Could you let me know either way?

I am aware I am repeating myself, which may be tedious to others on
this thread, but having seen several other people on other threads
having not dissimilar problems I have been tempted to put a general
item on the Touch part of this forum advising people to at least check
your advice on this as one of the possible issues they might have,
since they may be creating problems for themselves.  However, I really
don't want to do that without your agreement.

Your advice is:

"b. Run you PC or NAS ethernet interfaces at 100MBit/s full duplex.
That would be the same rate as the Touch.

on a Windows system you open:

1. Device Manager/Network Adapter
2. Right click on your network adaptor
3. Properties/Advanced
4. Select Speed & Duplex
5. Value: 100MBIT Full Duplex.
6. OK -Reboot"

If you do exactly this on a PC running XP, with an Nvidia NIC, and
transmit all FLACs, especially 24/96 ones, as PCM, you will almost
certainly get rebuffering on the Touch.  My understanding is that this
is because the Touch is trying to negotiate a speed and failing.   Take
a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation , which states
that one should not use fixed speeds unless you really have to. My NIC
had another option which was to autonegotiate up to 100FD (but not fix
at that speed) and this works fine.

Another thing people can do on windows is use Task Manager to look at
the network traffic when playing music.  The traffic should be fairly
smooth.  At 24/96 PCM it's about 4-5% of a 100MB ethernet.  At 16/44 it
is more like 1%.  On the straight 100MB FD setting the traffic was
visibly more variable (it might even have been running half duplex).
This is worth checking when all else is idle, since it may well
indicate some sort of negotiation problem or other network weakness.

I also installed Windows Network Monitor from Microsoft.  This is quite
simple to install and run.  Although I don't understand much of the
TCP/IP traffic, it was plain that my traffic included many
retransmissions.  Once I allowed negotiation the retransmissions
disappeared.  This has to be a good thing.

I'd also point out that this network setting also improves flac
transmission, removing retransmissions from those as well.  These may
not have cause audible problems on the Touch, but it is surely as well
not to create more traffic and work for both PC and Touch than is
strictly necessary.

--
PasTim