I've played around a bit with using a laptop to replace a squeezebox, as
this might suit me more in the future. Didn't really care for foobar -
too geeky for me, but I can see how folk like it. I'd probably use
Asset UPnP as a UPnP server, with dbpoweramp renaissance as the UPnP
player on the netbook/laptop, controlled via Plugplayer on my apple
Touch. Alternatively the J River Media Center is a tremendously
verstatile player - many advantages over Squeezecenter - which can also
be used in a UPnP configuration - and if you are prepared to pay for
apps, then Songbook would do for UPnP what iPeng does for
Squeezecenter. Essentially once you move away from a squeezebox to a
netbook/pc/laptop, there are many alternatives to Squeezecenter, so I
suggest playing with the products I mention, rather than trying to
bodge squeezecenter into doing stuff it's not designed to.

--
JezA