So, in summary, a Netbook running J. River media software using a remote
control J River UI from a phone, shut the netbook lid to keep things
tidy on the shelf (it'll still work) - start the music from your phone
- with the netbook connected to an async DAC, should work out well and
should (in theory) sound better than an SB Touch.

Going furher on from this I read that people dumb down their computers
to minimise the processing overheads (no anti-virus etc) so as to not
cause fluctuations in the sound quality. I will probably tweak the
computer (in my case netbook) to see if this really does help. But I
would make this easy on myself and create a snapshot of a fully running
system first - then snapshot the dumbed down configuration - and flick
between snapshots in case I actually want to pick up the netbook and
use it as a computer. All good fun I guess....

--
stop-spinning