Toy Maker;636892 Wrote:
> I just thought you guys might be interested in an ongoing "contest" of
> the "Golden Ear"
> I am the owner of CarverAudio.com and we have an annual audio fest in
> Sep. every year.
> For the past 3 years, I have claimed that "If set up correctly FULLY
> DIGITAL" you will not be able to tell an EAC file played through a
> Transporter, and the original CD it was ripped from.
> Well this year, all the toys are in place to run a fair test. I opened
> and setup my Transporter2 today, and I hear an AMAZING difference from
> my old Squeezebox3.
> Has anyone ever done this test, and what were the results?
>
> Here is the thread on my forum, overviewing the test, and how we plan
> to run all the equipment.
> http://carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=14068
>
> PS, this is my living room, so I like to think I'm in the "Audiophile"
> legue, well at least a little maybe ;)

I read through a good deal of the referenced thread and here are some
observations:

1) Do not use the internal DAC of the Transporter running directly into
a power amp, i.e a set up with no pre-amp. In this type of set up the
volume would be controlled by the Transporter and would be operating in
the digital domain. The only way to ensure bit perfect playback of the
wav file being played by the Transporter is by having the volume fixed
at 100%.

2) Why use a Transporter? Why not use a Squeezbox Touch's digital
output?

3) Why use wav files? Why not convert the wav files to flac files? Now
this would be a real test, a test that the Transporter (or Touch)/flac
combo should pass with flying colors.

4) The external DAC used should have at least two independent inputs,
e.g. coax and optical, and the ability to remotely switch between the
inputs. That way the Transporter can be connected to one input and the
digital output of the CD player/transport connected to the other
input.

and finally

5) Why limit the shootout to redbook CDs and CD resolution
(16bit/44.1kHz) files? Both the Transporter and the Touch can handle up
to 24bit/96kHz resolution files so make part of the test be between
DVD-Audio and SACD playback versus high resolution wav/flac file
playback.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch