Toy Maker;637002 Wrote:

> I didn't know I could do the same test with SACDs..  I don't own any,
> but I know the guy I am putting up to the test does. I will look into
> ripping them as well. What software do you need to rip an SACD?

There is no way in ripping the data from a SACD and compare them with
playinbg back its digital data against PCM on any device. Only way to
get SACD digital PCM data is grabbing the data from a modified
SACD-Player that converts the DSD data from the SACD to PCM in the
unit. This isn´t the best but the only method i know of. Maybe using 2
of these players then at once, one playing the SACD and the other
Redbook or DVD-A? No one will be able to tell you if the data has the
same source then or the master alone is different, not the format...
Of cause you can buy so called "Studio-Masters" PCM from HDtracks that
are nothing else but converted DSD to PCM data that once was sold as
SACD. Of cause they don´t tell you on what recordings it is that way!
:)

So better leave that comparison out this time. If there is a solution
at all it will be way to complicated to perform a valid test.

--
Wombat

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers