Phil Leigh;642102 Wrote:
> The process will work fine with CD players too.
I gathered so, but getting the Desktop PC physically near enough to my
CD players (or more likely vice versa) will entail a fair bit of
'discussion' with my better half :-)

I will definitely try playing a reference CD through:
. a far-too-expensive MF CD player
. an ancient Quad 67 player
. a much-better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be Oppo DVD/CD/SACD player

and compare with a rip (using EAC to wav and then flac) played via my
Touch.

I'll also tinker with a few different analogue cables that I have
acquired over the years.

I know which I think sounds better (which is all that matters).  What
the technical comparison will show is anyone's guess.  I have a 2005
creative sound card which claims to support 24/96 ADC.

If I get a digital cable I guess I should check the digital outputs as
well.  I shall get a cheap-and-cheerful one and try it sometime.

I also have ripped a few LPs.  My set-up is less than ideal for this
(PC and my best LP player and phono amp are in different rooms), but
they sound good even though recorded via a mediocre deck and amp, and a
cheap cable that's far too long.

--
PasTim