Hello,

just thought I'd share a few experiences with my recent hardware mods.

* I followed soundcheck's advice to directly solder the RCA out to the
board. Works great. In fact, I went on a splurge and bought a WBT
NextGen RCA, which I connected with a bit of (very short) silver cable,
kicking out the old RCA connector. The difference is NOT night and day,
but easy to notice. Sound is a bit more direct, a bit less veiled
(apologies for the expression), there is more PRAT and one worries less
about occasional sibilance on bad recordings.

* I also installed one of these clocks:
http://www.squeezeboxupgrades.co.uk/newtouch_upgraded.shtml ... this
time, the effect waspretty big. The overall tonal balance was tilted
from "slightly bright" to "very very neutral", and there is a much
better balance of detail (details fall into place better) and more
depth in the soundstage. Original SBT had a little more oomph, though.
I did AB-testing, I have 2 SBT here, one modded and one unmodded.

* Interesting points for followers of the cult of Klaus: The Soundcheck
mods may have a smaller effect once the new clock is installed, but they
are still very noticable and not to be missed.

* I do not agree with the observation that was made that the vol100 mod
did no longer make a difference unter 7.6. In my system, it does, quite
clearly.

Have a good weekend,

Thomas

--