I agree on the suggestion to use passive speakers. Normally I would also
agree with the suggestion of an amp indoors along with a Duet Receiver
or SB Touch, and I'd add a weatherproofed in-line volume control, for
those times you need to drop the volume quickly and can't find the
remote fast enough.

But since you've thrown an iPod in as the music source I'm not sure
what to say, esp in the Audiophile forum. Maybe an iPod dock and an amp
that can be hauled in and out whenever tunes are needed?

For outdoor passive speakers I have been happy with Polk Atrium 45.
They are only about $100/pair, so with your budget and the amount of
space you need to cover I would look higher in the Polk lineup. And be
sure that your speaker cable is rated for outdoor use -- ordinary
speaker cable isn't.

--
aubuti