Soulkeeper;660694 Wrote:
> Without a dedicated listening position, stereo is pointless IMO. I think
> I would place the speakers evenly, and perhaps try a LRLR configuration
> for even distribution of the sound. (And maybe experiment with LRRL for
> some semblance of stereo.) Switching the cables back and forth should be
> a breeze, so if you don't like it you can easily go back to the
> "default"(?) LLRR setup.
In a space that's 80 feet by 25 feet I LRRL would give a reasonable
stereo sound for those at the ends, but way too much right channel for
those in the middle. And LLRR would do the opposite: fine in the middle
and hugely unbalanced at the ends (all left at one end, all right at the
other). I would definitely recommend LRLR over either LRRL or LLRR.
Imagine 3 clumps of people spread out along the 80' length. The ones at
either end would get more than a semblance of stereo, and those in the
middle would more than a semblance of stereo with the channels
reversed. And it would be fairly smooth transitions as one walked along
the length. I have my kitchen speakers set up LRLR and it works well.

I hadn't thought about mono, but that's definitely worth a try.

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). 'MSI single-core Atom
mini-desktop'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032)
(Debian Lenny 5.0.6) feeding: Living room: SB Touch > 'NAD C325 BEE'
(http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier?products/hifi-amplifiers/C325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier)
> 'Vandersteen 1' (http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html);
Kitchen/Dining: 'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
(http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/rci/index.php?s=rc60i); Basement:
'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'JVC JA-S44'
(http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204813) > 'ESS
Tempest LS8'
(http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/205237-ess_tempest_ls_8_speakers/);
Bedroom: Boom; Study: SB Radio; Backyard deck: 'SB Receiver'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080124175538/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'AudioSource Amp100'
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
> 'Polk Atrium 45'
(http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/index.php#atrium45); Kid's
bedroom: 'SB3'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20051210015952/http://slimdevices.com/)
> 'Klipsch ProMedia 2.0'
(http://www.klipsch.com.cn/na-en/products/promedia-ultra-2-0-overview/);
Roaming controllers: iPod touch with iPeng, 3 'SB Duet'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080124175538/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
Controllers, 'Nokia N800'
(http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n800-r6); Limbo:one
more 'SBR'