I use a Touch feeding an indoor amp, speaker wires running outside from
it to a pair of N-E-A-R A8 outdoor speakers.  I have a volume control
in- inline that is in a weatherproof outdoor box, the type you might
use to cover a power outlet.  Whole system works perfectly, I use my
iPhone or iPad for control.

The NEARs are excellent outdoor speakers and have held up four years
now in bad weather (incl the recent hurricane) w/o a problem.  I've
recently become a dealer for Paradigm -- so take this as you will --
but they make excellent outdoor speakers as well.

--
rblnr