Soulkeeper;683632 Wrote:
> S/PDIF uses 'Differential Manchester encoding'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_Manchester_encoding) aka
> biphase mark code. From Wikipedia: "A transition is guaranteed at least
> once every bit, allowing the receiving device to perform clock
> recovery." I guess this is part of the reason why any decent DAC can be
> regarded as immune to input jitter.
>
> I also found an interesting little article, 'How does jitter sound?'
> (http://www.jitter.de/english/soundfr.html) which states (very
> plausibly) that DAC jitter is most audible in the higher frequencies.
>
> I did not find anything about exactly how DACs convert the Manchester
> encoded signal to an analog sound wave (I guess this also differs to
> some degree). It would be interesting to trace the signal path and see
> what behaviour, if any, that can be predicted from it.
If you are interested in this I recommend
Watkinson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Digital-Audio-John-Watkinson/dp/0240516435

I am not an engineer but got bored listening to BS from people who have
no idea what they are talking about. So I read this book and the one by
Pohlmann and Jim Lesurf's information and Measurement.

The simplest explanation of how a dac works is that it samples and
holds. So if the sample value is 10 it produces a voltage equal to 10x
LSB value which it holds until the next sample is coverted. This
produces a staircase pattern
ie a series of square waves. It is demontsrable that this wave equals
the orginal sample value plus images at higher frequency. Thus when you
apply the anti imaging filter with a stopband at nyquist you remove the
images- and hey presto the resulting analog signal equals the orginal
band limited signal (ie the signal sampled in the ADC at the recrding
studio).

see  http://www.lavryengineering.com/forum_images/Digital_Audio.pdf
and the other articles on the same website which are very good indeed.

--
adamdea