My thread in the LMS forum was closed down, but I still have some
changes to report. I am happy to reply to any questions about the
effects of these mods.

The web is full of optimisations for audio playback, this is a
consolidated list of mods that I have found that work, I am getting
significant improvement in resolution with these.

Win 7 Multi Core Optimisation for LMS
Windows 7 is great O/S for running LMS on and there are a number of
enhancements/configurations that can be made to improve performance and
hence the sound.

I have spent some time trawling the web and trialling various set ups
and this thread documents what I have found to work in my system.
Hopefully it may be useful to others too.

requirements - Win 7 SP1, I have Home Premium, a laptop/computer with
more than 2 logical cores, I have an i3 (4 core), check via task
manager performance tab, if in doubt. May work on 2 core, have not
tested it for obvious reasons - the Game Booster 3 would be worth
trying if nothing else.

Will this make a difference to my system ? Download Fidelizer and try
it on Audiophile setting, make sure you untick the set Windows X's Live
as Home Page. If you can hear a difference playing music and prefer the
sound then you will probably benefit from the steps below.

http://www.windowsxlive.net/downloading-fidelizer

Note - I am using a Touch modified to Fidelity Audio Level 1 and I run
it with Soundcheck's TT3.0 with all the options enabled, but with
Squeezebox Touch default priority and buffer settings. The mods below
should benefit anyone running LMS.

The basic theory behind these mods is to take load off the computer and
also to optimise the way processes are executed.

Basically this is one long advert for Fidelizer and how good it is, but
for me it is a pain in the rear to use and I don't like the developer's
philosophy where he makes it a pain to start rather than working out a
way to charge for it. So, even if you stick with Fidelizer I would
still recommend the use of Process Lasso to get Squeezeserver on it's
own cores, disabling core parking and the use of Game Booster 3, you
can even leave out Process Lasso and just have disabling core parking
and the use of Game Booster 3. Or just run with Fidelizer, but at least
you now know there are other options.

There are a number of guides to how to reduce the impact the Win 7
visual experience has on the system and also how to switch off services
that are not neccessary to Squeezeserver operation. The links are below,
I have optimised the visual side and switched off some non essential
services, but it is hard to tell if these have made any difference to
sound quality.

http://windows7themes.net/speed-up-w...7-netbook.html

http://www.optimizingpc.com/windows7..._services.html

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/...le.php?id=1071

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17...onfigurations/

right, now the steps that make a difference

update - now using JPlay settings

Squeezeserver on core 1,2,3 priority real time, i/o high
everything else on core 0, priority idle, i/o very low

gives a more presence and atmosphere than the fidelizer method below.

both Fidelizer and JPlay adjust the windows timer resolution to .5 ms,
so here is a $10 aus app that allows you to do that

http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

The aim here is to mimic Fidelizer to an extent so that processes which
are not required have a priority of idle and also that all processes
except for Squeezeserver are assigned to core 0.

To do this I use Process Lasso, it is free and allows process
priorities and core affinities to be set for each time the process is
run, so next time you reboot the settings wil be retained.

http://bitsum.com/prolasso.php

when setting up there is a scope of each instance of Process Lasso
panel, select manage the processes of all users (including SYSTEM
processes) and also select run with elevated rights and manage
processes of elevated rights

Warning - if your system is unstable with Fidelizer then it will
probably be unstable with Process Lasso as well

get familiar with the Process Lasso gui, hide the graph. If you haven't
already started Fidelizer then start it with Audiophile setting.

Go to the Process Lasso gui and click on the priority class column
title so that the highest priority processes are at the top. Highlight
all the idle processes click and then shift - click, right mouse click
and set default priority to idle, also set the default core affinity to
core 0. Now do the same for the non idle priority processes except don't
set a default priority, just set the core affinity to 0.

Start up Squeezeserver, go to Process Lasso, set Squeezetray.exe to
default priority idle and default core affinity to 0.

Set SQUEEZ~3.EXE to default priority Normal and core affinity to 1,2,3
for a 4 core system.

Reboot to clear Fidelizer. You should now have the process priorities
and core affinities set by Process Lasso.

Now, surely Windows does all this task management adequately and why is
this neccessary. Well, yes, Win 7 has very good task and resource
management and it does sound good, but I think it sounds better with
the Squeezeserver running on it's own cores, it is easy with Process
Lasso to revert back to the default processes and core affinities to
test the sound. To me the sound with Squeezeserver assigned to 1 core
is better than the default, sounds more ordered, not so messy as the
default and the sound when assigned to 3 cores is better than just
being assigned to 1 core. The sound with 3 core assignment has more
going on and it is still an ordered sound.

ok, but it still not as good as Fidelizer

copied from this link http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804, make
the changes below, this produces quite a nice effect, the sound is
smoother and more relaxing, take a copy of the registry before the
changes.

Here is where some registry setting changes come in

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park -
the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax "
are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for
each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the
number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found
twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

these registry entries alter the priority of the real time clock and
numerical processor yo highest and graphics media accelerator to
lowest. check your own irqs with msinfo32 from dos prompt then select
hardware then select irqs. these entries need to be added in as dword.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\PriorityControl]
"IRQ4294967294Priority"=dword:00000020
"IRQ8Priority"=dword:00000001
"IRQ13Priority"=dword:00000001

copied from this site
http://www.sensomusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2463

Process Lasso has the option to classify a process as a Multimedia
Player, this allows MMCSS to alter the priorities further to ensure the
audio process gets the optimum resources. click on SQUEEZ~3.EXE and
right mouse click, the classify option is just over half way down the
list of options.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

The Multimedia classification gives a slightly more detailed and richer
tone than the default ie without the Multimedia classification and you
would probably need a high resolving system to get any benefit.

There is a further tweak to the MMCSS audio profile, where the
priorities are set to the same as Pro Audio, Background is set to True,
the priorities are set to 26 and the clock to 1. 26 is chosen because
the MMCSS task runs at priority 27. clock rate of 1 = 100 nS and is the
highest rate available, the default is 10000.

the registry settings are below, this includes affinity for cores 1,2,3
the default is "Affinity"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\A udio]
"Scheduling Category"="High"
"SFIO Priority"="High"
"Background Only"="True"
"Priority"=dword:0000001a
"Clock Rate"=dword:00000001
"GPU Priority"=dword:00000001
"Affinity"=dword:00000000
"BackgroundPriority"=dword:0000001a

MMCSS has been implicated in reducing network bandwidth, this only
occurs if playing other media at the same time and can be solved by the
following registry changes which set the system responsiveness to 100
and disables the network throttling.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
"NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:ffffffff
"SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000064

The Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint services can be set to
manual and stopped. Thanks Soundcheck.

If not using the MediaPlayer classification then the MMCSS and Windows

--
SBGK