SBGK;686558 Wrote:
> I don't understand the buffer memory thing, when I make a change I
> restart the song, I can observe the network traffic sending an initial
> burst of data and then a steady stream, so the buffer has been
> refreshed. I don't make a change and then hear an immediate difference
> unless I restart the song, don't know if that covers your concern
> above.
>
> look at this thread from the Linn forum, there is more going on with
> ethernet data transfer than people realise.
>
> http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=14490
>
> It was only a few years ago that people were saying that one version of
> Squeezeserver sounded better than another and yet they were both bit
> perfect, as far as I know.
>
> So if the computer settings make a difference to the way Squeezeserver
> runs then it is not too much of a stretch to think that it may affect
> the sound as we have seen in different server versions.
>
> I can see why this is such a contentious issue, I had no idea that
> ethernet was bit perfect and that the SBT buffered when I started out.
> All I was observing were changes in the sound eg if everything is put
> on 1 core then the sound is more scrambled than if Squeezeserver is on
> dedicated cores, if the squeezeserver priority is set to idle then the
> sound is less focussed, if set to normal sound is better and set to
> real time it can sound too intense.
>
> All I am doing is reporting my results, if that is enough to draw some
> of the less savoury accusations then fair enough. I have no theory to
> back these observations, they are what they are and it is very easy for
> people to try a few things, if they want to. There is no reason for
> people to get so heated about a difference in opinions.

I have just quickly glaced at the Linn forum thread in your link, and I
noticed that one of the cables was shielded and one not. Might the
shield play a part in transmitting electrical noise from computer to
player? It reminded me - you didn't reply to my suggestion here
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=93236&page=3 that you
try wifi...

--
darrell