SBGK;686558 Wrote:
> I don't understand the buffer memory thing, when I make a change I
> restart the song, I can observe the network traffic sending an initial
> burst of data and then a steady stream, so the buffer has been
> refreshed. I don't make a change and then hear an immediate difference
> unless I restart the song, don't know if that covers your concern
> above.

I don't think it does.  The reasons this test keeps being suggested are
twofold. The first reason is that it shows conclusively that the the
data is buffered, but obviously that's not at issue any more.  The
second reason is that, if we suspect that the server computer (or the
connection to it) is somehow able to influence the sound of playback,
then disconnecting it ought to give us a 'golden period', while the
remainder of the buffer plays out, in which all of these server-based
influences are gone.  That should be the best that the player can
sound.  If you don't hear an improvement in the sound when you remove
the network cable, well, you can draw your own conclusions.

Where I think the problem lies at the moment, and this may be the
reason that the above test isn't conclusive for you, is that you don't
seem convinced that the buffered data contains all the right ones and
zeros, in the right order, ready to be played back at the right speed
by the player.  If that's the case, and you believe that the content of
the buffer is already inherently somehow corrupted by the way it got
there, then that would explain why the test might not be viewed as
conclusive.  But it's not, so it is.

--
chill