> > consequence that we have bad aural memory.
> >
> > Cognitive process passes through a kind of mental representation that
> > may need some more time.> >
>
> No we are very good at detecting immediate changes and processing
> them... All human senses are optimised for delta detection! - thats
> what has kep the species alive :-)
>
> It would be impossible to mix an album otherwise! What DOES happen is
> that you can spend many hours making minor cumulative changes and lose
> all sense of macro perspective as you get fatigued, so now you think
> it sounds great but actually it doesn't... And this only becomes
> apparent when you listen to playback the next day.
>
> This tells me that the longer we listen to something, the less
> perspective we retain. essentially the brain gets tired and bored and
> actually starts to fill in the bits it remembers from memory and stops
> listening to what it really sound like... And we have no idea when
> this is happening and when it isn't...
> This probably explains why certain types of blind listening test are
> also fatally flawed...
>
> So I would argue that the longer we listen to something being
> repeated, the less we actually hear and any judgements we make are
> flawed. On the others hand, quick a/b tests are ruthlessly revealing.

My opinion, founded on my own listening experience, is that it is very
difficult to judge of sound quality on short extracts because of the
very changing nature of the music making one second very different from
the previous one. For instance, how to compare the quality of an attack
without replaying it twice, one time on each system we want to compare.
And in my opinion, attacks are very relevant to judge of the sound
quality, especially with strings. The most efficient methodology for me
is to listen to short extracts in turn on the system we compare, but
unfortunately this is not easily applicable to the experiment of
unplugging the ethernet cable.

--
evdplancke