evdplancke;686734 Wrote:
> The fact that the buffer is too short to judge might be precisely the
> consequence that we have bad aural memory.
>
> Cognitive process passes through a kind of mental representation that
> may need some more time.

No we are very good at detecting immediate changes and processing
them... All human senses are optimised for delta detection! - thats
what has kep the species alive :-)

It would be impossible to mix an album otherwise! What DOES happen is
that you can spend many hours making minor cumulative changes and lose
all sense of macro perspective as you get fatigued, so now you think it
sounds great but actually it doesn't... And this only becomes apparent
when you listen to playback the next day.

This tells me that the longer we listen to something, the less
perspective we retain. essentially the brain gets tired and bored and
actually starts to fill in the bits it remembers from memory and stops
listening to what it really sound like... And we have no idea when this
is happening and when it isn't...
This probably explains why certain types of blind listening test are
also fatally flawed...

So I would argue that the longer we listen to something being repeated,
the less we actually hear and any judgements we make are flawed. On the
others hand, quick a/b tests are ruthlessly revealing.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.