rgro;688112 Wrote:
> There was an article on the CNN website the other day about Neil Young
> and his quest for hi-def music re. Apple.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/31/tech/web/neil-young-apple-high-def-music/index.html
>
> According to the article (and I have no verification of this),
> "Industry-standard MP3 files have only about 5% of all the sounds that
> were contained in the original recording".  That's a pretty amazing
> number----a LOT of compression----and we know that, in addition,
> there's some data loss going on.

... overlapping posts ...

If you take a high-definition master recording at 96kHz/24 bit stereo
(~ 4,600 kbit/s) and compare it with a 256 kbit/s mp3 (which you might
consider "industry-standard" these days) this actually holds true (at
least approximately).

But as already said: a lot of this data can be "omitted" without having
(too much) of an audible effect. mp3 compression is based on (rather
well understood) psycho-acoustic phenomena (e.g. masking just to name
one of them) to reduce the data rate.

Personally I am - at least for the vast majority of my own music
collection - not able to tell the difference between the CD source and
a mp3 file with 320 kbit/s encoded from this source (using a decent
hifi system - that won't perhaps qualify as "audiophile", though).

--
superbonham