Excellent link by Ron Olsen .

Note the typical dissmissals of blind testing on the behalf of other
posters.
It does not matter if blind testing has flaws the flaws in sigthed
testing are infinitely worse any day.

And some get upsett and read it like a "cheap avr is just as good as
anything" .

This is not the case, the limitation is within it's current and voltage
and power limits.
And the avr was used 2ch .

And speakers , modern avr can drive most speakers to modest volumes but
not all speakers.
i had 4 ohm dynaudios avr was not faboulous with them especially with
all 6ch driven.
Dynaudio want's 200wpc even the stand mounts, I think some B&W are a
bit of a amp busters to.
There is always a case for a good amp, just be aware of the limitation
on what you can achive.
And note that there is truly " different" amps that they could pick in
the blind test beware.

Hence another tip of better sound .

If you get an avr get one with line level outs for each channel .

For a couple of years i used an avr that way a befy power amp for my
main speakers the avr's amp did center and rear . I had an analog pre
amp at a defined level when i listen movies or multi ch .
I eventually bougth more power amps on the used market so the avr was
in the end only preamp.
Then I got my meridian preamp .

Thats another tip many folks want 5 or 7 ch power amps, so used 2ch
come in decent prices .
It takes more rack space to keep 3 2ch amps but it saved $ and
performed well no compromisses to cram everything in to a single small
box.

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )