Phil Leigh;689676 Wrote:
> Excellent stuff... Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome!

Aczel is quite a character, and I find his "Credibility Snatchers"
article quite funny. It's really one of my favorite articles in any
audio mag, partly because I've encountered, in online forums, a few of
the people he mentioned and found them exactly as he says they are.
Early versions of his mag were apparently in the subjectivist camp, but
I don't know what caused him to change positions.

Unfortunately, according to several former subscribers, he was involved
in a questionable ethical affair regarding the review of a now-defunct
speaker called the Fourier Speaker. Apparently he gave it rave reviews,
but did not disclose that he had financial interest in the company that
made them. I'm not sure if it was as a partner or if he was acting in
some other capacity.

So if you mention his name on subjectivist-oriented forums, this issue
inevitably comes up, which is really unfortunate. If the claims of what
he did are true -- and I have no reason to doubt them -- I have to agree
that it was an unethical thing to do. But people in the subjectivist
forums use this as a combination ad hominem and red herring, avoiding
much of any substantive discussion of his actual views.

I find his views to be a bit extreme on the objectivist side, but I
also find that aspect of his writing to be a refreshing counterpoint to
the subjectivist baloney of the mainstream audio press.

--
andy_c