How about something like this?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/icepower-125asx2-a200-mono-550w-x-2-ch-se-amp

Well under your price, and will work great with pretty much any speaker
within reason.

I just jettisoned my old McCormack amp, and got an sds 450 from these
guys,

http://www.classdaudio.com

that I love. This is well within your budget as well, and the new ones
come with volume controls on the back. You can use these controls to
attenuate the sound so that your sb is always around.

Then you have a nice minimal system, and it will sound great. I have an
old counterpoint sa1000 preamp in a closet somewhere, and gave away my
old classe preamp: preamps just don't seem relevant to me anymore.

sb3->amp-> subs and speakers, and that's it :)

--
totoro

sb3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3